Before starting discussion, I would like to Thanks Uday Microsoft MVP for Sharepoint for sharing his knowledge in solving the error.
Runtime Error while opening Sharepoint Site
Or do you recieve following error.
Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed.
Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on the local server machine, please create a
<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
Cause of Error
There can be more ways this error can trouble, but let me share how this error occur while working with sharepoint.
My PC, is one of the workgroup PC to connect to local network. Now to take advantage of sharepoint and to make it sharepoint server, I have turned my PC to Domain Controller and Installed Active Directory using DCPromo Command on command prompt.
What is Domain Controller?
Domain Controller is first PC in network which controls sub domain.
Example: DailyFreeCode.com can be said Domain Controller, while sub domain such as Forums.DailyFreeCode.com and Search.DailyFreeCode.com are domain under the domain controller, for more details and indepth knowledge please refer "Active Directory Concept" and "Domain Creation Concept" in windows 2003 server.
How to turn your PC to Domain Controller?
You can make your PC to Domain Controller on Windows 2003 Server by running command "DCPromo" on command prompt. A wizard will open which guide you step by step in creating your PC to Domain Controller.
Ok, so now back to our problem.
It was obvious that after creating your PC to Domain Controller this error is likely to occur as default setting are changed and that also need to configure.
Solution for Error
- Note: I haven't considered steps for backup data.
- Remove SQL Server with UnInstalling all Instances.
- Remove MOSS.
- Remove Virtual Directory from InetMgr (IIS) related to Sharepoint.
- Sharepoint Central Administration
- Office Server Web Services...
- Remove directory from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\Virtual Directories and delete all directories under it.
- Remove directory "80" and so on...
- Note: I have also deleted directory not deleted while MS SQL Server and also remove it from Registry. i.e. from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\
- Restart PC.
- Install MS SQL Server
- Restart PC
- Install MOSS 2007
- Restart PC
- Run Configuration Wizard of MOSS
- And Try opening sharepoint website, now it should work for you.